Ghverse.com earlier reported on a supposed robbery attack at the University of Cape Coast Campus. A latest report filed by Myjoyonline.com reveals that authorities at the University of Cape Coast (UCC) says reports of alleged robbery on its campuses on Monday night were untrue.
Major Kofi Baah Bentum (Rtd) who is the director of public affairs at the University said their investigations so far does not confirm what is being circulated on social media.
There was chaos on the University of Cape Coast (UCC) campus on Monday night as students ran helter-skelter over fears that they were going to be attacked by armed robbers.
The students are reported to have fled their lecture halls where they were studying when reports came in from a fellow student that there was going to be a robbery on campus.
But authorities said upon further checks, they found the reports to be untrue.
Read Also: MCE for West Mamprusi escape from robbery
According to a host of UCC’s campus-based ATL FM’s morning show, one student received a phone call from an unknown person who said a lecture hall had been robbed, so theirs was next.
Mary Ama Bawah said the student who felt he and his colleagues’ lives was at risk at that moment informed his colleagues of the supposed attack.
According to her, the students then took to their heels after they were informed.
“Reports, however, coming in this morning have confirmed that there was no such attack on campus,” she told host of JoyFM’s Super Morning Show Kojo Yankson.
“We spoke to one of the students who took the video and he said the call came through and he felt that he needed to warn his colleagues he was studying with and everyone started running but his lecture hall was not attacked,” she added.
She further noted that checks with a blogger who had posted videos from the scene on his site could not confirm there was an attack.
“We’ve had the opportunity to speak to the blogger, Fidel Agyeman Osei who posted the issue on his blog this morning, but he said the students called him that some session of the students have been attacked at a gun point and by armed robbers with machetes.
“We’ve not been able to have any confirmation from any of these students but at least Fidel made us aware that some of these students were injured and have been admitted at the UCC hospital.
“We have gone there, we have also spoken with some of the nurses on duty who told us this morning that no one has been admitted.
She the nurses confirmed a student came in with a knee injury but that happened as a result of the mayhem.
“The police were called in but they found nothing related to any robbery attack,” she said.
Notwithstanding, there had been an attack on a student earlier. She wasn’t certain, however, if that had been the cause for the alarm.
“PRO at UCC’s Directorate for Public Affairs told us that there had been an attack on a student. So it’s quite difficult for us to tell if this student was the one who made this call,” she added.
Following the incident, social media was buzzing with comments, with #UCCLivesMatter trending on Twitter.
Source: Myjoyonline.com | Disclaimer