In today’s digital age, staying connected is more important than ever before. MTN Ghana has introduced eSIM technology, a new way of connecting to their network without the need for a physical SIM card. With an eSIM, users can activate their devices on the MTN network seamlessly and instantly, without the need for a traditional SIM card. This technology is set to revolutionize the way people connect to mobile networks, providing greater convenience and flexibility. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of MTN eSIM technology and how to register for it in Ghana.
What is an eSIM?
Traditionally, when you purchase a new mobile device, you have to insert a physical SIM card to connect to a mobile network. This can be a hassle, especially when you want to switch between different networks or devices frequently. With an eSIM, the SIM card is built into the device’s hardware, eliminating the need for a physical SIM card.
An eSIM, short for “embedded SIM,” is a digital SIM card that is built into a device’s hardware rather than being a separate physical card. With an eSIM, users can activate their devices on a mobile network without needing to physically insert a SIM card. eSIM technology is becoming increasingly popular as more devices are manufactured with this feature, allowing users to switch between mobile networks without the need to change SIM cards. eSIMs are compatible with most modern smartphones, tablets, smartwatches, and other connected devices.
How to check if your phone is eSIM compatible
If you’re unsure whether your phone is eSIM compatible, here’s how you can check:
- Check your phone’s specifications: You can usually find information about your phone’s eSIM compatibility in the device’s specifications, which are typically listed on the manufacturer’s website. Look for phrases like “eSIM support” or “embedded SIM.”
- Contact your mobile network operator: Your mobile network operator should be able to tell you if your phone is eSIM compatible. You can either call or visit the network’s customer service center to inquire about eSIM compatibility.
- Check your phone’s settings: Some phones have an option to check if the device is eSIM compatible within the settings. For example, on an iPhone, go to Settings > General > About, and look for an option labeled “Digital SIM Status” or “Cellular Plan.”
To find out whether your smartphone or device supports eSIM, you can use the following instructions:
- Dial *#06# on your smartphone or device.
- If your device is compatible with eSIM, you will see barcodes with EID numbers displayed on the screen.
- If there is no EID number displayed, it means that your device does not support eSIM.
List of eSIM compatible devices
- Google Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a, Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 5
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR
- Motorola Razr (2019)
- Samsung Galaxy Fold, Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20+, Galaxy S20 Ultra, Galaxy Z Flip
- Surface Pro X (2020)
- iPad Air (4th generation), iPad Pro (3rd and 4th generation)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S6, Galaxy Tab S7, Galaxy Tab S7+
How to register for MTN eSIM in Ghana
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to register for MTN eSIM in Ghana:
- Check if your device is compatible with eSIM technology. Most modern smartphones and devices support eSIM, but it’s best to confirm with MTN Ghana if your device is compatible.
- Visit an MTN service center to request for an eSIM QR code.
- Once you receive the QR code, go to your device’s settings and look for the “Mobile Network” or “Cellular” option.
- Select “Add a new plan” or “Add cellular plan” depending on your device.
- Scan the eSIM QR code using your device’s camera.
- Follow the prompts to activate the eSIM on your device.
- Once the eSIM is activated, your device should now be able to connect to the MTN network.
Register for MTN eSIM in Ghana using the MyMTN app
Here are the steps to register for MTN eSIM in Ghana using the MyMTN app:
To register for an eSIM with MTN in Ghana, you need to visit an MTN service center for SIM registration and biometric capture, after which you can request for an eSIM using either the MYMTN App or MTN website.
- Download and install the MyMTN app on your device from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Open the app and log in with your MTN number.
- Click on the menu button at the top-left corner of the screen and select “Services” from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to “eSIM” and click on it.
- Read the terms and conditions and select “Continue” if you agree.
- Follow the prompts to select your preferred eSIM plan and complete the registration process.
- Once you have successfully registered, MTN will send a QR code to your registered email address.
- Open your email and scan the QR code with your smartphone to activate the eSIM.
- Once the eSIM is activated, you can download your eSIM profile and begin using your new MTN eSIM.
If your phone is eSIM compatible, you can consider activating an eSIM and enjoying the benefits that come with it, such as the convenience of not having to carry a physical SIM card and the ability to switch between networks more easily.